Thursday, July 9, 2009

An introduction to chocolate in Seattle

There are lots of chocolate stores in Seattle! (YAY!) However, not all chocolate stores are equal. While incomplete, this is an attempt at a semi-exhaustive directory of the stores in Seattle, with separate entries for different types of stores. One note is that I use truffles and confections somewhat interchangeably--technically, chocolate "truffles" that are not round are considered confections within the industry. First, for the chains (briefly).

Godiva is your basic chain focusing primarily on truffles and other chocolate confections. They are a fairly solid company quality-wise, but I wouldn't say that they are particularly exceptional. They do have some sort of free membership program (you have to give them your/a phone number) where they mail you postcards with coupons for free items, frequently new or promotional items. www.godiva.com

The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory has a number of truffles and other chocolatey items. However, the wide variety of caramel/candy-covered apples seems to be a bigger draw for many people (I know it is for me). Their chocolates don't strike me as particularly exceptional. www.rcmf.com

Who can forget See's? They are a staple of high school fundraisers (I salivate just thinking of these bars) and give out free samples! I seem to recall something marshmallow-y being particularly delicious. A solid range of chocolates. www.sees.com

In addition to truffles, confections, and a wider range of chocolate bars, Dilettante Chocolates is known for their "Mocha Cafes," which specialize in a variety of chocolate-y desserts and drinks, but have "regular" food as well. While their chocolate is also of a decent quality, much of their dark chocolate does contain milkfat, which generally signifies a lower-quality end product when compared to chocolate products that rely on the cacao butter and beans themselves for fat content. www.dilettante.com

Neuhaus is a Belgian chocolate company that has good quality chocolate but, in my experience, limited selection. They do sometimes have fun shapes and sets of chocolate.

Fran's Chocolates is perhaps the most famous of the many local chocolate producers. They have

Chocolati Handmade Chocolates is a line of chocolate cafes (there are now 4 around town, with a factory outlet on Aurora). They sell some typical cafe fare--pastries and coffee--but also have a wider variety than normal of chocolate-y beverages and sell some chocolate bars and confections. Unfortunately, while I love the idea of a chocolate cafe, I have generally been disappointed when I have visited them. It could simply be that the one I have been to (Greenlake) is not as good or that I order the wrong thing. Some of their confections are okay, but I have not been particularly impressed. They do offer drinking chocolate, but it is not a "true" drinking chocolate and is closer to a very rich hot chocolate. (Since I love drinking chocolate, that could be the source of my bias. I know other people who love Chocolati.)

1 comment:

Solution To Stroke said...

Today i am here to thank Dr Johnson for curing me from Orgasm Problem (Anorgasmia), I could not release sperm from my penis it always take too long. I was in a bondage for 6 years without sex,but last 2 months a friend of my told me about him and I contacted him and his medication, and used it, now am having a normal sex life and good ejaculations. i am a living testimony. I can now have sex with my wife and satisfy her,if you are having this problem contact him on drjohnson958@gmail.com or text him through whats-app on +1(518) 675-6082